Hello Arlington Community.
We have an update about Family Camp 2021.
We have made the decision that we will not be running a Family Camp program this summer. It is a tough one to make. We (Myself, Wayne, and our Board of Directors) are aligned and feel that it is the right call to make. I know that there are many different opinions on covid-19 restrictions in our community. One thing that I am sure of is that we were all looking forward to getting together this summer. As well, I think there may be a collective sense of disappointment. I know that I feel it, but I am hopeful and confident for the future of Arlington Beach Camp.
When we announced the dates for a possible Family Camp back at the beginning of March, we were hopeful that the vaccine rollout would be further along and did not expect to see such a change in the landscape regarding the variants of concern that have now become so prevalent within our communities. We are still hopeful and very thankful to our government and the health care workers as the distribution of vaccines continue. We are also optimistic and look forward to better times ahead. Times where we can gather safely and without the risk of compromising those who are most vulnerable in our communities.
Part of the decision comes from the unknown and very tough logistical aspects to run a program. Logistics can be dealt with, but we want to make sure first and foremost that our community is safe, and we do not want to appear in the public eye as not being responsible and putting people at risk. One other significant aspect that played into our decision is that we feel it is essential to do our best to see our day camps run this summer. Our children have missed out on so much play and in-person social interaction. We feel that we can operate and manage these camps safely with small numbers, lots of outdoor activities, and other health and safety protocols. If we can offer this to the kids that attend our camps this summer, I see that as a huge win. If we were to have an “outbreak” the week before these camps take place and part or all of our staff is required to quarantine, or worse, fall ill, it would shut us down for a minimum of 2 weeks. We would then lose our window for those day camps to take place.
We are hopeful for the fall, as the vaccine rollout progresses, that we can resume our “normal” program season. Thank you for your continued support and prayers as we get through this challenging time together.
If I can clarify anything for anyone, please don’t hesitate to reply via email or give me a call; my number is (306)484-4460.